- Tripura royal scion Pradyot Kishore Manikya has recently announced his political demand for a new state called ‘Greater Tipraland’.
What is Greater Tipraland?
- ‘Greater Tipraland’ is essentially an extension of the ruling tribal partner Indigenous Peoples Front of Tripura – IPFT’s demand of Tipraland, which sought a separate state for tribals of Tripura.
- The new demand seeks to include every tribal person living in an indigenous area or village outside the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC) under the proposed model.
- However, the idea doesn’t restrict to simply the Tripura tribal council areas but seeks to include ‘Tiprasa’ of Tripuris spread across different states of India like Assam, Mizoram etc. as well.
- It seeks to include even those living in Bandarban, Chittagong, Khagrachari and other bordering areas of neighbouring Bangladesh.
Similarity to Greater Nagalim?
- As per Pradyot Kishore the demand for Tipraland is a democratic issue and the demand of Greater Nagalim. The Greater Nagalim idea was floated by the rebel Naga agency- NSCN (IM). It is now involved in peace talks with the central government.
- The new demand seeks to include every tribal person living in indigenous area or village or village outside the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC) under the proposed model.
Political Standing of the issue:
- TIPRA has emerged as the single-largest political party of Tripura, with Pradyot's new political maneuvering, . The royal scion has also announced an alliance with all major tribal political parties where two parties majorly are Tipraland State Party and Indigenous Peoples Front of Tripura.
- The ‘Greater Tipraland’ is said to be in consonance with the demand of ‘Tipraland’ which is a proposed separate state for tribals of Tripura. This idea was floated in 2009 and also was the main poll agenda which led to the victory in 2018 assembly election.
- The oldest tribal party has also joined the cause and has supported TIPRA. It said that while Tipraland was only restricted to ADC, Greater Tipraland would be a better extension to it.
What is Tipraland?
- The formation of Tipraland that is a state within the Tripura Tribal Areas is a political agenda. It is to be formed under articles 2 and 3 of the Indian Constitution and has been demanded by a political party called the Indigenous People's Front of Tripura (IPFT). Take a look at the map below.
What is Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council
- The indigenous people of Tripura had demanded for an autonomous district council. They finally achieved this feat on 23 March 1979. This came to be known as Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC)