1. Consider the following statements regarding guilds during Post-Mauryan period;
1. They worked under the government
2.They sometimes issued coins
3.They provided credit and loans to the members of the guild
4.Guild laws were protected by the government
Which of the above statement(s) is/ are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only (b) 2, 3 and 4 only
(c) 1 and 4 only (d) All of these
2.Consider the following statements with regard to Ashoka:
1.He strongly supported the doctrine of ‘Ahimsa’
2.He banned the animal sacrifices everywhere.
Find the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 & 2 (d) None of the above.
3. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
1. Ashoka’s son 1. Brihadratha
2. Conqueror of 2. Ashvaghosha Yarkand
3. Buddhist Monk 3. Kanishka
4. Last Mauryan ruler 4. Kunala
A B C D
(a) 1 2 3 4
(b) 4 3 2 1
(c) 3 1 4 2
(d) 2 1 3 4
4.Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
1. Rock-cut Rathas 1. Ellora
2. Kailasa Temple 2. Mahabalipuram
3.Brihadisvara Temple 3. Nachnakuthara
4. Parvati Temple 4. Thanjavur
A B C D
(a) 1 2 4 3
(b) 1 4 2 3
(c) 2 4 3 1
(d) 2 1 4 3
5.Which one of the following mentioned division of the Mauryan Society into seven classes?
(a) Ashoka’s Edicts
(c) Kautilya’s Arthshastra
(d) Vishnu Purana
6. The correct descending order of the Mauryan officers, at the district level, was
(a) Rajuka, pradeshika, yukta
(b) Yukta, rajuka, pradeshika
(c) Pradeshika, yukta, rajuka
(d) Pradeshika, rajuka, yukta
7. Assertion (A): Chandragupta Maurya failed in his first campaign against Magadha.
Reason (R): He did not begin with the frontiers, but invaded the heart of Magadha.
(a) Both A and R is true and R is the correct explanation of A
(b) Both A and R is true but R is not a correct explanation of A
(c) A is true but R is false
(d) A is false but R is true
8.Consider the following statements with reference to Ashoka:
1. After the conquest of Kalinga, Ashoka restored it to its original rulers and these rulers were made subordinate to Mauryan Empire.
2. Due to influence of Buddhism, Ashoka changed the death penalty into life imprisonment.
Find the incorrect answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only
(c) both 1 & 2 (d) None of the above
9. How did the Maurya Empire finally end?
(a) The last Mauryan ruler was killed by his General.
(b) The Kanvas of Central India deposed the last Mauryan ruler.
(c) The last Mauryan ruler was killed in a battle with the foreign invader from the north-west.
(d) The last mauryan ruler had no heir and the throne was claimed by one of his powerful ministers.
10.Who among the following has written the play of Mudrarakshasha (narrates the ascent of the king Chandragupta Maurya)?
ANSWER WITH EXPLANATION:
Exp: He banned the animal sacrifices at least in his capital.
Exp: 1. He did not restore it to its original rulers. He continued to govern it as an integral part of his empire.
2.He maintained the death penalty & merely granted a stay of execution for 3 days to men condemned to death, so that they might prepare their mind for the next world.